CA API Management Review
It provides a simple way to create REST APIs and easy integration with REST and SOAP service. It requires a lot of specific coding for medium-complexity use cases.

What is most valuable?

It provides a simple way to create REST APIs. It provides easy integration with REST and SOAP services. It has its own language, which make it possible to design and implement the complete flow using existing services and databases, and to create and aggregate fine-and coarse-grained APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used it as the top layer in physical infrastructure architecture and made that available to mobile, iPad and desktop applications. Basically, it worked as a single point of contact for all applications via HTTP protocol as a communication channel. Underneath, it is aggregating a plethora of REST and SOAP services and connections to LDAP, AuthMinder, RiskMinder and SiteMinder for authorisation and authentication.

With it, we provided an enterprise solution for authentication and authorisation for all internal and external application in a quick and efficient manner using existing SOAP and REST services.

What needs improvement?

I feel there is a lot to improve in terms of providing plug-and-play functionalities, as at the moment it requires a lot of coding in their specific language for implementing a medium-complexity use case. It needs to improve the user interface for logging and monitoring. There is no test framework for the APIs, which is a setback. And with respect to providing an end-to-end API management solution, where the API will be charged per usage from the client, configuration is not that easy and straightforward.

I have used it for more than a year.

We had a lot of deployment issues, as it does not provide seamless, continuous integration and deployment to different environments.

Not really, Performance wise it is quite competitive .

Satisfactory

I would rate technical support as satisfactory.

Previously, we chose to use CA-provided solutions (AuthMinder and RiskMinder), which includes (JSP-based) user interfaces. Also, because we have to make our own designs (RIA-JavaScript-based), that’s how it came into the picture.

Initial setup wasn’t straightforward.

We implemented it along with a vendor team. I would advise preparing an in-house team by providing it with a week or two of training, and then get an expert from CA for several months to provide the consultancy and solutions to the team and to resolve their issues.

One of the reasons for choosing it was that we were already using CA products, such as SiteMinder. It provides easy integration with SiteMinder, and because both are CA products, we therefore expected better support.

Not really , as we were already using CA products like Siteminder , since layer 7 is also a CA product and provide seamless integration with the product thus we chose Layer 7 in first place .

What other advice do I have?

I would advise also evaluating Apigee API management if you are looking for an end-to-end API management solution. Otherwise, CA API Management is not a bad choice.