CA API Management Review

Easy development of policies to securely expose APIs to third-party vendors.

What is most valuable?

One valuable feature is the ease of development of the policies for the product. It's very easy to have a brand new developer come in and develop a policy to expose our APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

It's benefited us greatly in allowing us to expose our APIs to external third-party vendors in a secure fashion.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the GMU, the automated deployment framework, available in some sort of graphical interface. This would allow options, outside of automation, so you could see things graphically.

The product is becoming more stable as the product has become more mature. At this point, it's a pretty stable product.

On the scalability perspective, the product has no issues. It's able to scale out horizontally and vertically and has posed no problem for us. We have a pretty large implementation.

I have absolutely used technical support. They have been pretty good, especially when more complex issues are escalated. They've got some resources that do a wonderful job in helping us come to a resolution.

We didn't have a previous solution specific to this. We had some other products where there was some overlap with this product, but none of the products accomplished what this did. We had a specific need.

There were multiple products that were specialized in different things, but they could do some of the stuff that this product could do. This solution is very narrowly focused on API management.

I was involved in the installation and implementation. I think it was lacking some documentation around performance tuning and getting the product operationalized so that it could maintain itself. The documentation is still a little bit lacking in those areas. The documentation is available on demand, or on informal places like community chat groups where you can get information, but as far as in the product documentation itself, it's lacking in those areas.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, look at the partnership with the company. See if they're able to listen to you about your needs. See if they are able to respond quickly. See that the product provides good value. Work closely with the vendor to make sure you get things set up correctly. If you don't, you'll be very disappointed.