Ca2

CA API Management Review
The Gateway is our strategic front door into the company for all APIs.

Valuable Features:

The Gateway is most important because it is our strategic front door into the company for all APIs.

Improvements to My Organization:

The API Gateway for us is now, or is about to be, our central one way in. We have many, many partners who resell our communications services. They provision those services through our systems.

Previously, we would just host it on a number of different application servers, uncontrolled if you like, not as secure as they should have been.

You probably don't know, 18 months ago we had a large security breach, which turned into a large issue with the national press. We now use the Gateway for that single point of entry for all of our API traffic.

Room for Improvement:

As well as the SOA Gateway - that is, the API Gateway; we call it the SOA Gateway - we also are now deploying the developer portal component of the SOA Gateway. That has limitations.

There are two main ways to offer web services to the outside world at the moment. One is RESTful services and one is SOAP-based services. We are predominantly a SOAP service company and the support for SOAP-based services are very limited, almost poor, in the developer portal. All CA's investment is around RESTful services, which is a problem for us.

I would also simplify threat protection, I would improve SOAP support, and I would reduce Professional Services rates. Apart from that, everything's pretty good.

Use of Solution:

We've been using the solution for two and a half years.

Stability Issues:

It is very good in terms of stability and functionality, it just lacks a little bit in terms of SOAP services.

Scalability Issues:

We're only receiving 200,000 calls a day at the moment, and we're increasing that to about 1,000,000 calls a day, which is a lot of traffic compared to some customers but I'm sure it's not much compared to others. The performance is fine.

We raised a couple of tickets which just went through the standard process and we got a really poor response. But then I contacted the account manager and we got an excellent response and service.

In terms of the ultimate outcome and the service we receive now, I'd rate it really high, you know, 8 or 9 out of 10. But there's been one incident in particular which I would rate down at 2 or 3 out of 10. The way I feel now, I would rate it at an eight or a nine, mostly a nine. There was one incident which did not go through the account management team, which was not optimal.

The one incident which I would rate very low was just a really unprofessional, incorrect response. As soon as the account manager saw it, he was very apologetic. He got it all sorted out, no problem. They know about it and our account guys know about it. I think the support team know about it. I don't really think it's worth bringing it up again.

Previous Solutions:

We introduced the API Gateway. I wasn't here at the time, by the way, but we didn't use anything in terms of that. We bought it really for our protection and security capabilities. So the main thing is the API, the whole API management piece. We did go out to tender; we invited about six, or evaluated about six, different solutions and selected CA.

Initial Setup:

I wasn't here for the setup.

Other Advice:

I would say CA are a good company to work for. I would say that the Professional Services people are fairly expensive but pretty good. I would say that the Gateway is a good tool but you need to be careful of the limitations for SOAP services. Also try and get over to CA World because that's good fun.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About CA API Management?

Our experts can help. 229,168 professionals have used our research on 5,847 solutions.