CA API Management Review
The most valuable features are API Enhanced Portal 4.1 and API Gateway policy manager for writing policies

What is most valuable?

API Enhanced Portal 4.1 looks very promising. API Gateway policy manager for writing policies is excellent. It is the best in the industry for policy writing.

How has it helped my organization?

CA is the first in the market from the time they acquired Layer 7. They deliver the best API Management solutions.

From 2012, our clients evolved a lot from API Management perspective after using CA.

We are able to expose mission critical APIs to the external world, monetize them, and generate revenue from them in the most secure manner.

CA also drastically improved the capabilities from Gateway, Portal, and OAuth perspective in the last couple of years. This adds more value to our API Management wing.

What needs improvement?

CA API Portal 3.5 does not support Swagger documentation. If they were to support that, it would be great. However, their focus is on a newer, enhanced version of their API Portal 4.1 Release. However, it is not very mature and there is no direct migration available in the near future. It is not possible for clients to migrate to a newer version.

CA might lose clients mainly for this reason (Swagger Support on API Portal 3.5), unless they develop seamless migration utilities from API portal 3.5 to 4.1.

I have used CA API Management from 2011, when Layer 7 had not yet been acquired by CA.

From an API Portal 4.1 perspective, I did encounter multiple issues.

From an API Portal 4.1 perspective, I encountered scalability issues. They confirmed that they are working on it and in the very near future, it will be available.

CA has very good API Management support. They are very helpful.

We didn’t use a solution before this one. CA is the best in the market in terms of stability, scalability, and policy development. They are the best at achieving custom scenarios related to clients (customization) in all perspectives, besides the current API Portal 4.1, as it is not yet matured enough. There is nothing to worry about in the 4.1 portal.

The initial setup was straightforward. CA documentation is pretty clear for anything to do with CA products. They are masters in this industry.

If the CA pricing for API management would be a little lower, they would be able to cover a broader market.

I don’t remember the story from 2011, but very recently I did an analysis of MuleSoft, Google, AWS, Apigee, and WSO2. WSO2 came in first, and CA standards came in second.

What other advice do I have?

Follow CA documentation thoroughly.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are CA Partners for Security Management products.