CA API Management Review

What is our primary use case?

Primary user case is producing APIs as products, essentially, and creating the environment for developers to sign up to use APIs.

It has performed well so far. We just got a test instance installed, and did a PoC earlier in the year. We are more or less just getting started with it.

What is most valuable?

• For developers to be able to come, sign up, or find APIs.
  • Sign up for the API and start using it in their applications without a Gateway developer having to get involved.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit of it is being able to create a sense of the API marketplace. It has improved the way our company functions by streamlining the effort and getting people out of the process.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to see the publisher role be able to be organized within organizations, so somebody within that role can only manipulate their particular policies.

Less than one year.

We had some problems getting it installed, but it has been running fine ever since.

It is all docker containers. So, it seems to be pretty good.

The technical support is good, knowledgeable, and responsive.

They are all friendly to work with and really seem to care about us being successful.

We were using the API Gateway before.

The industry is moving is to be more API-oriented and more self-service oriented, which is why we invested in a new solution.

The initial setup was complex. It ran into a lot of problems. It was a new release. It was a 4.1 release. We spent the first day or so, probably almost two days, getting it to accept the proper IP from the DNS name. We ran into certificate problems. Mainly, just the installation script in our particular environment did not work very well. So, instead of what should have taken us a couple hours, or what we planned for a few hours, it ended up taking about three and a half days.

I did a PoC in the earlier part of the year. We built out some APIs on that, then we just installed the test instance a couple weeks ago.

Purchase 4.0 now and wait until they flush out the 4.1 problems.

We evaluated CA and Google. We chose CA because we already had an embedded solution with them and a good relationship. Pricing was also a factor.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Reliability
  • Support
  • Pricing.

CA is a large company. It is not like they are going to go upside down tomorrow. You want to make sure that the company is going to be around for awhile if you are investing in them.