CA API Management Review

We are able to go to market and deploy our functionalities very quickly

What is our primary use case?

It is primarily used for API Security. It has performed very well on the basic security front, but then this product is a suite of products, so it has multiples of products. We are not using all of the subproducts. Now, we are looking for a new use case where we want to use it for mobile apps. That is what we are currently exploring.

How has it helped my organization?

The time to go to market has been improved in developing new things while we use this product. We are able to go to market and deploy our functionalities very quickly. We are able to embrace newer security standards. We are able to do that easier because of this product, because of CA API management.

What is most valuable?

Security is definitely the top one, and other than that, it is a quite customizable product. I have seen that they are coming up with newer features and they are quick, coming into the market very quickly. Compared to other vendors, this product is much faster in coming up with new features, which is good.

What needs improvement?

There is still room for improvement for the CA API Developer Portal. It is still not on par with where the competitors are. Other than that, the Core API seems to be very resilient and strong on the security front, but then the CA API Developer Portal is the only piece which I think can be improved.

It is quite stable.

We have more than 100 nodes and things are going well so far. However, there are a few cases where we are learning about some outages and that is when getting good visibility of what is actually happening would be the key. In a few of the sessions of in CA World, I was able to get to know more about what additional add-ons we can do, how we can get good visibility, and what is lacking currently.

We did use technical CA support and it was really nice.

There were very few scenarios where I was not able to get the answers, or maybe my use cases were maybe unusual use cases that they were not able to come up with the answers. Therefore, we definitely get good responses from the technical team and they are quite responsive.

There was one scenario where they said there is no solution for the kind of requirement that I had. For all of the scenarios that I have come across, they have been able to give me some solution. There was only one scenario where maybe my use case was quite unique.

The solution was already in my company before I came.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I have been setting up new instances, and it is quite straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Getting new security standards so quickly into the product is definitely a new surprise. In the CA World, I am seeing a lot of new subproducts that they are introducing, which I was not even aware of. I think that definitely surprised me that CA is investing in the CA API management product and building new offerings and new solutions, which is really nice. That is where the industry is going and they are putting their time and efforts in the right solution and the right product.

The gateway and the new offerings that they are coming in are very capable. The two points that I am missing are primarily from the development standpoint.

I would suggest CA API Gateway to my friends in some other companies who are trying to deliver it: more from the security standpoint, the ease of setting it up, using it, and customizing it. Those were the key factors that I would be promoting about this product to my colleagues or friends.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Support and the new features that they bring into the product. Those are the key things based on which we are selecting the CA API Gateway