CA API Management Review

Maintains the security of our APIs and our business transactions

What is our primary use case?

We have a full, classic, API gateway currently. We want to leverage it to use the microservices, with the help of micro API gateway, to support our business or e-commerce platform, the API traffic. That's our main our goal, to move further toward a microservice with a Docker container.

We implemented it in a non-prod and it is good. But we want to move into production going forward. Performance-wise it’s good, and we are not seeing any issues.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is maintaining the security of the APIs and securing the transfer volume of the enterprise for any business transactions.

What is most valuable?

The main feature is the security, and then the performance of the APIs is good. The monitoring part is also helpful.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for improvements related to integration. We want to see them add integration tools to the CA bundle. That would be helpful.

Stability-wise it's good. We are not really seeing any issues. We have had CA products for almost four years, and until now we haven't see any outage or any impact of the gateway.

Scalability is good. With the new/future version of the gateway, we can easily scale up or scale down the gateway instance in the Docker container.

Technical support, the CS support, is good. They respond promptly. They give guidance and they give recommendations to improve the platform performance.

We were previously using a different API gateway. We had some issues with those servers. We did some evaluation in the market. I evaluated server software and IBM DataPower and Intel products. Finally, based on all the features, like security, we decided that the CA product is the best suited to the needs of Motorola's business.

I was involved in the initial setup. We brought in CA Professional Services to help start the infrastructure in our installation.

It was not complex, documentation-wise it is good. CA maintains the documentation very nicely, so based in the documentation we were able to set up the environment. It is all straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The main thing we look at when selecting a vendor is what partners are using them and how successful they are in that business with the product. Then we'll look at industry ratings. Based on that we will consider if we need to go with that product or not.

I rate it a nine out of 10 because the product is not only one product, API Gateway. If I want to monitor the gateways, I need to go with other CA products. It's not like a package, it is multiple products. So if it was a complete bundle, then I would rate it better.

I would recommend going with it.