CA API Management Review

Provides secure API exposure but the cloud-native architecture needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

API security, API management, OAuth security, microservices, mobile app security.

How has it helped my organization?

Secure API exposure and driving Innovation through microservices.

What is most valuable?

Security, out-of-the-box policies.

What needs improvement?

Cloud-native architecture of the product.

More than five years.

We haven't encountered any issues with stability. The hardware and virtual appliance-based form factor are solid. It's a stable product.

The product does not scale the way cloud-native architecture does.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup was moderately complex, due to various deployment models and integration with its own components.

It is in the lowest price range for such products but the pricing model needs to be changed.

I have experimented with all of the APIM solutions. Each one is fit for different situations but, overall, CA API Management is the best product for the expected functionality.

I have evaluated Apigee, Mulesoft, SoftwareAG, Akana, Kong, and IBM API Connect.

What other advice do I have?

If you are truly looking for API management features, CA API Management is the best solution. It might be a bit old in terms of cloud-native architecture but they are moving towards that.