CA API Management Review

Substantially decreases the amount of time it takes to secure new APIs

What is our primary use case?

API management, for security.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the features that the tool provides is the ability to simply onboard new APIs to an existing security platform. We build all the policies for security upfront, and then we can add those policies pretty simply and straightforwardly to any new API that gets developed in the enterprise. That has been the quickest and easiest thing.

We're rolling it out across the enterprise as we speak, after that six months or so of heavy usage, and we're finding that the amount of time it takes to secure new APIs has gone down substantially.

What is most valuable?

The security features are the most important because that's what we're using the application for, specifically.

What needs improvement?

There is a thick client for configuration that is not as easy to use as you might like. So I would say the design and user experience, from an administrative standpoint, is a little clunky.

There are some really very granular kinds of issues that I've found and they're more related to very specific technical components of the application itself. Aside from these individual complaints that are very bound up with our use cases, I don't have any specific recommendations.

No issues with stability.

In terms of scalability, we haven't encountered any issues. Scalability has been something that we're starting to explore a little bit more now - automated scalability - responding to increases in capacity in the environment. But we haven't had any issues, and I don't necessarily anticipate any issues. CA provides certain containerized versions of their components that are very easy to deploy and scale.

CA has been extremely responsive to any request that we've had for assistance, for support, and for new features. I haven't been able to evaluate the newer version that has recently been released, so we haven't evaluated it yet in terms of feature completeness.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. They provided us with a container and we got it up and running, and then we just started working on it. You can follow the instructions pretty easily.

We did not have a previous solution, but we did evaluate Mulesoft as an alternative and, possibly, Informatica. We ultimately decided that our relationship with CA, and the type integration with some of the other applications that we had deployed in the enterprise, made the API Gateway a much better option for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest you take a look at all of the components. The API Management Suite that CA offers is broader than simply the API Management Gateway. The Suite has some features, extra components, that really make for a much easier and more accessible way a way of doing API management within the enterprise. There are components like the Mobile API Gateway and Live API Creator. These additional components really expand what the products can do, in a way that makes your value proposition easier to present to the business.

I would say this solution is a solid eight. It does everything that it says that it does. It would get a higher rating if it had a little cleaner interface and was easier to administer, but I think that's a pretty solid rating for a product like this.