CA API Management Review

Works best where there are multiple protocols, multiple APIs, and security is the key

What is our primary use case?

My company is a CA partner. We do implementations for end-customers, using CA API Management. So my company doesn't use the product, but we install, configure, and implement the product for our end-customers.

Primary use for the solution is to have access to APIs that are generally difficult and not available. An example would be critical APIs that should be available 24/7 but they are not available most of the time, because of one or another constraint. That is where the API Management solution is used to the maximum by end-customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Let me give you an example from one of my customers, a tier-two telco in the UK. This customer was getting an API that was available to their developers for only two hours a day, and because of this restriction, they had to plan everything precisely for their developers to access the API in those two hours.

Now, with the CA API Management implementation, the third-party API is available to this customer 24/7. It's available any time the development team requires access to the data or the information. This result has quickened the development pace and the testing cycle, and it has saved a lot of our dollars for my end-customer.

What is most valuable?

Security is the most important parameter of the solution, for me, because whenever you are exposing your APIs to third-parties, it is critical that the data remains anonymous and that data is retained within the system, that it is not leaked. CA API Management provides good security features and that is very critical.

What needs improvement?

The CA API Management solution has good security features, but when it comes to being used in areas like enterprise integration, where it is being used as middleware for all the IT environments, that particular feature is quite limited. It doesn't support as many protocols as an industry standard, competing product should.

No issues with stability.

I have never had any issues with scalability.

I would rate tech support at nine out of 10.

I still use multiple solutions. I use some open-source solutions, I use some of the competing enterprise solutions, and I use CA as well. It really depends on what my end-customer really wants. It depends on the use.

The initial setup was quite straightforward.

I feel the product's pricing is a good value.

In terms of licensing, currently, they are available for as perpetual from CA. What is really important is that they offer the solution as a service, on a subscription or monthly basis,  which will make it more attractive. That is where the market is headed. There are competitors within the industry that are doing that currently. I would encourage CA to do that.

The options that I had were Apigee and Mulesoft.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, if it is a really complex integration with multiple protocols, multiple APIs, where security is the key, I think you should look at the CA solution. That is where it fits best. If it is you're looking at it more as an enterprise integrator, that you need to integrate internally within an organization and its IT functions, then I would suggest that you talk to CA and see how best the product can be used; you will consultation.

It's a very stable, scalable product with good security features. It does the job well.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a global systems integration partner with CA Technologies and a reseller of their solutions.