CA API Management Review

The out-of-the-box security features are useful. We feel secure using the Gateway.

What is our primary use case?

We use CA API Management for our brand mobile app and our outbound traffic. Our brand mobile apps are for Olive Garden, Capital Grill and LongHorn Steak House.

We also use API Management to modernize legacy systems via microservices.

We have our internet application, which is connected to PeopleSoft and other tools so we can export through API gateway. So we have a custom mobile app built for our internal application, where people can check their paychecks, benefits, and other perks, such as gift cards.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the main things is the call-ahead feature, where people can call ahead of time with our mobile app to reserve a table at these restaurants. We also have private click-to-call links that are very successful.

Pretty much the whole mobile app is going through our Gateway. People can only access the app through a mutual SSL authentication, plus we make sure that we do geo-location. We also have CA Advanced Authentication to help with this. We put these two tools together to make sure that we are not entertaining anybody outside of our countries that we serve. So security-wise, we feel secure using the gateway.

What is most valuable?

The out-of-the-box security features are useful.

Right now, you can just right-click and drag and drop the assertions with the rate limit. That, as well as the x-amount surge protection, is built in so we can bring that in.

What needs improvement?

On the monitoring side, we need a better way to monitor it. CA has not given a clear understanding of what external tools we can use to do this.

We also need a total dashboard functionality to see how many transactions are going through, where the problems are, etc. There's no out-of-the-box monitoring other than the dashboard, which doesn't give you very much.

Their migration policies are also not the best out there. We just do an export and import of it, which is fairly simple, but they could have made it better.

Three to five years.

We do promotions and that's the only time you see some crashes. But overall it's pretty stable product and we haven't had issues with it.

Because we have a physical appliance, we have the capacity with us, but scalability is going to be hard. Our next strategy is for us to figure out if we can use virtual gateways instead of an appliance gateway and then scale horizontally.

As for end users, we have a lot of them. About 200,000-300,000 users have downloaded the application and use it externally. As far as maintaining here locally, it's a team of 5 people.

We are growing. I'm the main implementation architect on the support of it. Now, we have a policy development team, an enterprise architecture team and a performance testing team. Each one of them from their team lend out to us whenever we need it.

I would say we're probably 20 to 30 percent of people have been using it within our organization. We still have a lot of room to go.

Their support is phenomenal. That's one thing that I like about CA is that they're very good at their support.

There's a big dent right now with the merger with Broadcom. So, it's not working out that well lately. I think they need to get that merger completed quickly to get this all figured out.

This is the first one we've picked and then we were pretty happy with it so far.

It is straightforward, but now we're trying to cache some of the responses and there is no real guidance on how this works.

We had CA Services help us during initial setup and that's about it.

We see clear ROI with this solution.

I think it's competitive. It's not that expensive when you compare CA with the Oracle product. I also haven't seen the latest pricing for the virtual gateways, but what I have seen seems to be reasonably priced.

We were thinking about the Apache system at that time, as well as the Oracle server and architecture.

I used CA in my previous organization so I'm committed to it. To me, it met our requirements at that time, which helped us choose it for this organization.

At that time, Oracle didn't actually have a gateway. Although they have now acquired a gateway, I think CA API Gateway is more mature. It's been there for a long time, even before CA purchased it, so in this space they are the best. We also did the research and looked at resources like the Gartner Report, and CA API Gateway seems to rank top on the list.

What other advice do I have?

I rate CA API Management as an eight out of ten due to the overall stability of the product. So, we had this implemented and running fine unless we had increased traffic. We never went back and tuned it. In that way, I'm pretty happy with that.

It loses the last two points because of the monitoring, as well as the capacity analysis and planning our day-to-day transaction details.