CA APM Review
Has helped us in being proactive and provides a lot of in-depth data w/ new features compared to v10.1

What is our primary use case?

A new concept (APM) to be introduced in workplace which was never there before. Never had visibility into Application layer. Company's main focus was on infra and network. Having visibility into app and backend layer has been a blessing in putting together the entire portrait for management. We've put together a complete picture from an ESM (Enterprise Systems Management) perspective with CA Tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We are introducing 10.1 in our dev environment and then prod down the road. APM is a new culture here so we are working with customers in getting them introduced to the product. Want to show them how deep dive provided by APM can help them with DevOps lifecycle as well as proactive monitoring. The previous version v9.5.3. we've had for about a year since we introduced a the product in our environment has been a good hands on experience for our users. Now looking forward to getting hands dirty with 10.1 and utilizing the additional capabilities. Will continue to show customers the usefulness of this tool and how they can use it to generate reports on performance of their app as well as the service it provides. There has also been reactionary situations where we have used APM and pin point the issue or able to narrow down the focus.

Updated - 08/29/2018

We now have v10.5.2 SP2 running in our Dev & Prod environment since June 2018. So, far we've had a really good reception for APM by our internal app owners. The key is now for ESM Tools to be adapted by app owners (physical, network and app layer).

What is most valuable?

Deep Dive and Transaction Analysis Triage capability. The AppMap feature is very very helpful in visualizing. Also ACC is a huge help with agent maintenance/management (life cycle).

What needs improvement?

User Experience is a BIG one. Integration of all of APM components into one swift deployment.

Less than one year.

On Windows Platform, it’s not great and/or stable (from previous experience). We had lots of challenges on that platform back then. But with the current employer we start things off the right foot with RHEL platform :)

Agent metric containment is a VERY BIG challenge for us. Constantly have to normalize the agents to reduce the number of metrics and/or metric explosion.

4 out of 5

4 out of 5

There was no APM solution prior to the intro of APM. Thus, we are still in infancy from a culture perspective. They are still learning as we they go, the tool.

It was complex due to our network architecture. It tool much longer than anticipate with all the firewall hurdles and design iterations.

Implemented through CA (the vendor) with their Services Group.

not yet determined

If you can get a SME to architect and install then definitely go that route vs the vendor itself. There are upside to having the vendor due to the fact that they have access to unlimited resources for assistance.

N/A

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great product and provides a lot of in-depth data. Focus and leverage this product as a deep dive one and have another layer above it (another high-level view product etc..)

4 visitors found this review helpful

Free Trial

No credit card required. It's easy and free for 30 days.

4 Comments

Ravi SuvvariReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Correct, I concur with you.

12 May 14
Nikunj M. JainVendor

Hi Manish. Thanks for your comments. There has been massive improvements in terms of User experience and configuration management. I am regular user and consultant of CA APM and 9.7+ has central agent management features that allow for better configuration management without getting on different machines that are already instrumented. At the same time, user experience has improved with CA APM WebView. Although, I do have to credit some of the competitors in terms of user experience. Every solution has its priortization in terms of what they wish to focus on, be it UX, technical aspects or wide coverage of IT ecosystems.

19 March 15
Manish A. ParikhReal User

v10.x + has been a great features upgrade from v9.x I am looking forward to many more iterations that are coming down the pipe from CA APM's product team.

Good Luck

24 August 16
AnuranjanKumarConsultant

CA APM 10.7 is having new features and very attractive look & feel. Which will increase the overall visibility to the end users.

It provides the holistic view to understand experience view, Agent view, map, dashboard, metric view, etc.

CA APM 10.7 have filter option to segregate the views limited to hostnames, applications, business transaction...can be customized.

It provides deep dive visibility of every components present in the application architecture.

Now many customizations for management modules can be done from the webview only. Still some can be done through workstation only.

Enhancements are being done with every upcoming releases.

16 August 18