CA APM Review

Valuable Features

Most valuable features and characteristics for me are:

• Quick setup and good out-of-the-box value provided
  • Usable interface and navigation
  • Variety and value of the provided metrics
  • Qualified and motivated Support services
  • Customization options, you can monitor almost everything with EPAgents

Improvements to My Organization

Most of our customers use the tool mainly for incident diagnostic and incident early detection. In this sense, I know that is quite useful for customers. Sometimes it is used to validate results of stress tests before going to production.

Room for Improvement

In my opinion the are some areas for improvement:

• CEM setup is significantly more complex to set up than Introscope, more automation of transaction detection will be useful.
  • Command Center should be integrated in the Web environment and the server part should be integrated in the MOM.
  • Support for commercial solutions (Oracle Coherence, e-Business Suite and other market leading solutions) is sometimes limited. Official fieldpacks from CA can surely improve this point.
  • TeamCenter needs a little more maturity, although I know it is a new feature. CA is working on it. CA should provide new use cases for this new feature in order to adopt the new Team Center.
  • End-to-end visibility of transactions in complex environments is not always satisfactory (for instance, transactions crossing OSB).

Use of Solution

I've been using it for the last seven years.

Overall, we've had no issues with deployment.

I think stability of the CA APM software is one of the strong points of the solution.

We have managed environments up to five Enterprise Manager instances which can be considered a middle-sized environment. We have not find any problem with scalability.

SLAs are great. Technical level of the technicians is quite good and the level of motivation in resolving cases is very valuable.

It is the first APM suite that I have used.

The setup is quite straightforward, but in middle-sized environments it could be long. It would be interesting to have some kind of “cheat sheet” to hasten the initial setup, especially for non-experienced consultants. Documentation is good, but it can be costly to read.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

This is a management role, but as far as I know pricing is in line with other top market tools.

Other Solutions Considered

No other options were evaluated.

Other Advice

I would advise them to look for an experienced partner, have clear objectives and expectations of what they need, and take a time to obtain the most of the tool.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are CA partners for the APM solution. APM solution includes both CEM (Customer Experience Manager) and Introscope.