CA APM Review

CA APM (Wily) Aplication Performance Management Tool

How has it helped my organization?

Easily map between transaction and method recall

Useful automatics alerts

Easily understand graphics

What is most valuable?

The way these tools show the information is very useful. this is a tool that records information from Java and .NET applications, and obtain information about how many times an method has been call in a period of time (usually 30 sec), how many times respond in this span of time or is delayed or stall.

Usually you can map the java / .NET method to some type of transaction, so the graphic shows how the transaction is working (or not working) then you can establish a base line and alerts when the behavior is not that is expected.

The graphic display that shows the variables in the time is very intuitive and almost everyone is able to obtain useful information.

You can add other standard monitors like SNMP or even personalized monitors that are integrated with the platform. the platform itself is easily integrated whit the manager of manager (CA Spectrum or others) or even you can access the database with affect the tool behavior. We have been integrating the tool with splunk in a way to obtain deep correlation.

What needs improvement?

Release new features, but in an intelligent way. We need more capabilities to analyze the information that tools collects; for example, using artificial intelligence, or something like that. There is a lot of artificial intelligence, for example, in cars, and other things. These technological advances has not been translated to the monitoring tool yet. We would like something like AI in monitoring tools. There is a lot of information to correlate and useful information to obtain about what is happening in the company's systems.

Some few times the agents lost connection whit the manager, but usually for changes made in the java / . net server.

The solution is technically scalable, but it is very expensive for our business especially it the way that CA calculates the price, that is based on the number of processors. If we use it too much, it will be too expensive.

It is fairly good.

We have the solution in a SaaS schema with a local partner, they give us the first and second level support then the partner used the CA support. I have not worked directly with the CA service or with technical support but I fell it is not the best.

Nope similar, there was a tool from IBM but was not as good as this one.

Initial setup was very fast. It was very easy to deploy.

We need to be able to obtain new solutions for full feet new necessities . When there is a new technology, if the application is not able to monitoring it, we must research new technologies to enable monitoring these new technologies. Now we are looking for a news solutions.

This was the model we used when we made the change a five years ago. We also considered IBM and HPE. We chose CA APM. They do the most for us.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure use the tools to develop good instrumentation and to make the best use of its capabilities; for example, to define correlations and setting the levels when alarms must be sent.

Free Trial

No credit card required. It's easy and free for 30 days.