CA APM Review

Using Investigator, we can capture the in-depth transaction trace and error trace.

What is most valuable?

Every component has its own value. Investigator is the most valuable feature for me because we have deep visibility for application performance via all agents. We can capture the in-depth transaction trace and error trace which helps us to provide RCA to the customer.

How has it helped my organization?

We have deployed APM agents on multiple applications for our customers who had the worst performance. The application team was unable to pinpoint the problem and that was the main pain area of the business. We have collected and shared RCA for some problems with the business and application folks. Now, the application team has more visibility in regards to their application performance and they can easily pinpoint to the problematic area by transaction traces.

What needs improvement?

There are various areas which have room for improvement:

• First of all, the product team has to design something with which we can showcase the complete call graph of any transaction and overall health of the application.
  • There is a need to improve the Team Center functionalities and performance, as it doesn’t work properly in a vital environment.
  • There is a need to develop any utility to auto-schedule the Investigator report.
  • There is a need to design a function with which we can export the transaction trace in PDF or in any other format.
  • There is a need to increase the traffic-handling capacity of TIM and discover another way to monitor business transaction via CEM instead of port mirroring (SPAN). Hence, some clients don’t allow mirroring traffic that has confidential data from the business perspective.

• The product team needs to work on the product’s architecture because the number of server requirements is very high compared to the other competitors. For example, if we need to monitor a large number of agents, then we require 4-5 machines for the APM solution installation. On the other hand, the competitor can handle the same number of agents by using only 1-2 servers. (I am aware that the APM capacity planning and hardware sizing depends on the number of metrics that will be monitored.)

It has been almost three years that I am using this solution. I am working as a services consultant with an organization since December 2013.

I have faced scalability and stability issues. When we needed to monitor a large number of data metrics, then these kind of issues occur.

The customer support is very good and active. I would like to rate it a 9 out of 10.

Professionally, I have worked only with CA solutions but I have tried different solutions in test environments.

The CA APM installation is very straightforward. It is as simple as stated in the CA documents.

I don’t deal in pricing and licensing so I don’t have any idea about this aspect much. However, the best thing about APM licensing is that it is a trust-based licensing, so monitoring will never have any impact due to licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to advise everyone to try this solution. It is best APM solution in the market, as per my knowledge.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a vendor for CA products and we deal in services. We provide implementation and support service of CA products (APM, UIM, Spectrum, RA, etc.) to various customers. My company has also won the “Best Vendor of CA 2016” award recently.