CA Application Delivery Analysis Review

Gives us the ability to configure the application's communication profiles.

What is most valuable?

The ability to configure the application's communication profiles. If correctly configured, then it allows the user to quickly diagnose issues for the application in areas of responsibility: network issue, server issue, application issue.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to diagnose where an issue is for an application is vital. Instead of spending your time figuring out which group (Network, Server, or Application) you should troubleshoot, you can involve the team that needs to troubleshoot. This also highlights the fact that this tool can be viewed by multiple types groups in the organization. They can see the data that is germane to them. Some tools tend to be geared toward one audience type.

What needs improvement?

Upgrades can be quite complex.

We have used this solution for four years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support is excellent.

This application is the first of its type at my company.

If you get the concept of what the tool is doing, it helps tremendously. The complex portion comes in with spanning traffic to the multi-port collector. For Enterprise solutions, this product requires the use of a physical server that is called the multi-port collector.

The purpose of this device is to capture the traffic and share it with the application for analysis. To keep the multi-port collector from being in the path of traffic, we have configured our Cisco switches to span, (send a copy), of the traffic to the multi-port collector based on VLANs. If you can get the spans working correctly to the multi-port collector, configuring the application is not too difficult.

Licensing isn’t a factor with this product. But the pricing can be very substantial. It can be a decent expense, but if you need to see this type data, it is worth it.

No other products were evaluated. This product grew organically and naturally within our company, since we owned other products from CA.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework, analyze your network infrastructure, and decide the best location for the multiport collectors. The closer to the servers that you want to monitor, the better. Depending on your architecture, that may require more multiport collectors. PoC (proof of concept) is paramount. CA is great about coming in and doing PoCs. Have CA show you how it works in your environment and then you can base your decision on the need for the data and the ROI (Return On Investment).