CA Automic Service Orchestration Review

Automation of job object creation increased the quality and quantity of our job requests

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an orchestration management tool. We use it for requesting jobs for UC4. There should be other use cases for this product, but as we have a very small team (only three people), our possibilities are very limited.

The performance is fine. However, we have had some issues because there have been technical changes, and the tool is not supporting them at the moment.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using Automic for job requests. We have automated the process, so job objects in UC4 are automatically created. In the past, we used automatic planning to ease job planning; they were done automatically in the system. At the moment, we have stopped doing this, but we want to use this method in the future again to completely automate and ease scheduling.

It has definitely had an impact on our efficiency. Jobs are planned automatically to eliminate the need to plan them manually. It also saves us effort because there is no need to create job objects manually.

Although, I am not aware if any of our competitors are using this solution, it gives us a good advantage over them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its connection to the UC4 product.

What needs improvement?

We are hoping some features that were available in the past will become available again. I believe they are on the roadmap and are in the pipeline, so we hope they will be available again during the year.

In the last two years or so, Automic has not invested as much in the product as we would have expected.

The stability is fine.

We have not needed to scale, but we know, for example, that Bosch also uses this product. They have a much bigger installation. I am confident that we could scale, if needed.

At the beginning, technical support was quite good.

However, since then, it has not been so good. For example, at the beginning of last year, we were very unsatisfied with product support. At that time, there were several bugs in the system. Contacting support and developers behind the front-line support was difficult. It was hard to get a WebEx session to have them look at issues.

At the moment, the support is getting better again, so hopefully, it will continue this way.  Although, it is getting better, I would rate technical support a six out of 10.

Before this, we had a Notes database with many free text fields. We decided to switch because the data quality was not very good in the system. There was also no interaction with UC4 to check if the selected information was valid for the scheduling process.

We needed the ability to directly check against UC4: To know the naming was okay, the naming existed, etc.

At first, there was a bigger time investment to implement standards in UC4, including the naming conventions and so on.

The initial setup was done by Levatis, the previous vendor from whom Automic bought the product.

The value for us is that we have increased the quality and quantity of the requests and handling them is much easier than before.

We did not evaluate other options. I believe we saw it at the Automic World conference. Then, we found out that Bosch had started using this software. That is what made us decide to go with it.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the product itself is a 10 out of 10. The product itself is really good. It creates a lot of possibilities. Automic has a lot of possible use cases, like onboarding people over the system, and the best are requesting of scheduling and using the system.