CA Automic Service Orchestration Review
Provides a reduction of headcount and run through time

What is our primary use case?

It is used for service orchestration. It is hard to divide it between service orchestration and workflow automation, because on the base, it is the same. On the base, you schedule things. Most customers are using it purely as workload automation, but some of our customers start using it as a service orchestration, more on the infrastructure level. That means they deploy infrastructure units via Automic.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a simple reduction of headcount and also a reduction of run through time.

What is most valuable?

The automation:

• All the steps can be done automatically, when they need clear feedback (return codes).
  • We need to know why a task was successful or not, which is provided.
  • They have automatic recovery actions, normally.
  • It goes towards more direct run book automation. They will have a picture that they can automate, providing clear feedback.

What needs improvement?

From my point of view, we need clearer, more open RPSs. As an example, they need to go forward with risk RPSs. There needs to be features with more direction towards microservices, so we can have more modules which are usable. Over time, the whole Automic engine will be more complex as it is now. It will become harder to operate. Therefore, I don't like to see too many features in one engine, like more modules with options.

What I am missing today is robotics. If Automic would like to stay as one of the biggest automation engines on the market, they have to find an option with a robotics solution.

The product is stable. This is the reason that we are using Automic, in some cases, because of its stability and features.

The scalability does not matter to our customer because we do the solution for them, and we see that it is scalable.

• I can use it and increase the agents; simply, control more clients.
  • If I have a higher workload with smaller machines, it is easy to increase everything.
  • I can easily manage and double the workload.

Technical support was okay. The support needs to improve their knowledge. It is really ugly if you call someone for support, and that person does not have the same level of knowledge as you, but is expected to support you.

It is straightforward. However, there is the normal transition transformation task, which will be complex, but all our projects are mostly on time and on budget. In these cases, the same people who operate the system on their end are also responsible for the planning of the transition transformation. Thus, the process is totally smooth.

From our clients, "We have reduced headcounts since the beginning by around 30 to 40 percent." and "We are much faster using the service orchestration and saving by a factor of 10 or more."

I am a consultant in this area. We normally go in checking which task needs to be done. We see the available tools on the market, then select one based on:

1. Features
  2. Price
  3. Do we already have an existing delivery unit which can handle the tool?

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Automic.