CA Clarity PPM Review

It allows me to ensure that IT meets their P&L objectives, stay within budget and reach earning targets. It would be nice, though, to have all configuration options at the partition level.

Valuable Features

Capacity and demand management allows me to know if I have enough resources for all the projects that I have to do. It helps to drive the whole budget of the department.

Improvements to My Organization

It allows me to easily keep track of and report costs for the company in order to reach our profit and loss objectives. It’s a good tool to manage capacity and demand which ultimately impacts the profit and loss.

Room for Improvement

This is the first time I’m using a partition (one installation for the holding company which includes a partition for my company and our sister company). It would be nice to have more configuration options at the partition level. Resources are at the system level and for an administrator, which can become confusing when troubleshooting issues.

Use of Solution

We started the implementation last year, and are still doing this.

I have used CA PPM in three separate companies. I have never had an issue with stability. However, I have always used on premise and not SaaS. In general, I’m not a fan of SaaS. If there are stability issues, I know it’s on our end.

I do not have any scalability issues.

Currently, my implementation partner (R2) has only used technical support when we ran into an issue during implementation.

I've always been using this and I wanted to continue. I implemented a Microsoft Project Server at a prior company, and it was not as good. Where I am now, I got to pick so I chose this.

Implementation Team

I am currently using a CA Partner (R2) to assist with the implementation.

Other Solutions Considered

I look at usability. As a resource, I want to do the least amount of clicks and streamline processes. I have looked at other products, however, CA PPM is the only solution that will keep a managed service provider plan in sync with timesheets when a Project Manager deletes a task that has actuals on it. This was the best feature and a huge selling point for me.

Other Advice

Let your employees understand the benefits of CA PPM and show them how much it will help them to do their work. A tool should be used to make their lives easier and not treated as an annoyance.