CA Clarity PPM Review

Provides access to all data in one tool. I would like to be able to connect it to an analytics tool.

Valuable Features

Many features of this product are valuable to our organization, such as:

• Project Management: Managing a project for a PM is always tough if he/she has to do it without a tool. Using this tool, they have a view of availability of the resources across the organization, which they can use in their project to leverage their skills. It will reduce the load on the PM, as well as provide access to all resource data in one tool.
  • Financial Management: People always get stuck or avoid the things when it comes to finance. With globalization, finance has to be managed across the world. As everyone has their own ways of creating records for accounting, this functionality brings some standardization, which in turn, makes it easier to manage.
  • APIs: No organization uses a single tool for all of its requirement. Connecting those tools is always required, so that data flows between them and organizations can make the correct decisions.

Improvements to My Organization

For an organization where doing projects is the one of the major sources of revenue, it helps PMs sees each and every small thing in their projects in a very easy manner.

Room for Improvement

As new technologies are being developed, it has to create interfaces for new-generation tools such as R, Python, SaaS & so on.

As my industry is going through a change where we need to make decisions according to data and not on speculation, analytics is one such domain that can be utilized for this purpose.

Because CA PPM is a tool where all data related to project will be kept, (past failure or achievement), I would like to be able to connect CA PPM to some kind of analytics that would help PMs to identify what could be the next step he/she has to take in the project. For example, do we need to add more resources or not, and many other similar questions can be answered as we have data and the tool to analyse it.

The kind of functionality has to be developed where a PM can identify what to do next if he/she faces a problem.

Use of Solution

I have used it since 2010, i.e., 6+ years.

I encountered instability with V13.1 & v13.2, in terms of performance, but it was taken care of in very upfront manner by CA in the next release, v13.3.

In order to add customization, we can add a custom object. However, there is a limit of up to three levels in which parent-child relationship can be developed.

My rating for the product reflects the scalability of this product, which is very good compared to similar products available in the market.

I want to express appreciation for the technical support or level 3 support which CA offers to their clients. Their team are experts, and also know how to handle diverse customers with ease.

I haven’t used any other similar product but I am always talking with those guys to understand the differences.

As time passes by and new versions are released, setup is getting easier and easier. Organizations just need to understand their use case and set up the product accordingly.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

In terms of pricing and licensing, this product is much cheaper compared to SAP PS, which is a similar product. Others might be cheaper, but they might not be able to fulfill all of your requirements.

Other Solutions Considered

As an individual, I never got an opportunity to evaluate the product before choosing CA PPM, but what I heard was that this product has scalability and usability that always attracts customers.

Other Advice

I have only one piece of advice before implementing this product: understand what you want to achieve with this tool. Otherwise, you will be clueless once it has been set up.