CA Clarity PPM Review

It lets us aggregate information about ideas and projects into reports we can share. Adding the ability to connect with other reporting engines is crucial.

What is most valuable?

We use it to track projects and work in our portfolio. For us, it is about the reporting on project statuses during the project lifecycle.

The benefit of using the SaaS version is that it is more manageable than needing to have the infrastructure and the overhead of being on-premise, which would be too much for us. We really like being able to use the SaaS solution so that CA is managing everything except the actual data capture and generating reports.

With it, we're able to organize how we collect information and ideas and projects and get them funded. Without it, we would be using Excel spreadsheets and people don't want it to be like that.

It lets us aggregate all that information about ideas and projects, and put them into common reports which we can share. That's been very valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the ability to connect with other kinds of reporting engines like Tableau, or other kinds of BI tools. That would be crucial for us. We use those tools anyway, so we end up exporting data from PPM, and then importing it into those tools. It would be better if we could do it directly.

It's very stable.

It's very scalable.

Technical support has been up and down. That's not always a great experience. It's difficult to work with. I've been using this product for many years now, so it's both good and bad.

We had nothing before. We were basically doing it manually in spreadsheets. This was our first foray into formal project portfolio management. We made that move in 2009.

It was fairly difficult to get going. We had to try it a couple times. We had signed up initially for a program that was supposed to get it up and running in 30 days, but it didn't explain enough or train us enough about this very complicated product; so it actually took us a couple of years before it was right.

The HPE solution and the CA solution are really the only two options at this level. In general, we decide primarily on a vendor based on price and features. Our organization undertook a couple of different times to look at who makes these kinds of products, what they offer, and for how much (the per seat cost). We believe that we arrived at the right solution in terms of the amount of features for the cost.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you need all the functionality included in the PPM tool because it's very complete. That means it can also be very confusing. If you don't need this much functionality, look at something that's not quite as robust in the enterprise class. There are other tools that don't have all the features. They aren't as complete, but they are easier to use.