CA Continuous Delivery Director Review

Ability to automate release deployments reduces deployment time

How has it helped my organization?

We are using this in conjunction with CA Release Automation. RA has trimmed hours of deployment time down to minutes. We are hoping the CDD GUI will be able to provide better visibility for deployments.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to automate release deployments, streamline release scope, and reduce the cost of and time for deployment.

It rollbacks when toll gates fail.

CDD is primarily used for showing end users (managers, business teams, project managers, and release managers) what is happening with each release. The status and reporting features are very important. Automation reduces time to deploy. It also allows us to do more with releases and testing prior to production, better guaranteeing a smooth deployment.

We also like the ability to clearly rollback changes when releases fail. The tool does not have automated rollback, but it’s very clear which steps failed. Thus, we know when to start the rollback process.

What needs improvement?

CDD and RA should be two modules in the same product. They do not automatically “talk” to each other. and they require endpoint definition. If changed, we wouldn’t have two separate strategies for the tools since everything was in one tool. Both products could orchestrate and have overlapping capabilities. At the moment, we have to think about the strategy for each product. It would be great if CA RA and CDD were rolled into one product. CA RA is the “brains”, and CDD is the GUI/display.

Still implementing.

No issues with stability.

We have not encountered any issues with scalability.

Technical support is good. Their consulting service is fair since they do not have many SMEs for CDD. But technical support has been strong.

The product is easy to learn but we are experiencing many firewall issues that have prevented a successful launch of the product.

We have not had issues with pricing/licensing.

We did evaluate other options but I was not a part of the evaluation phase. We picked this product to work as part of a suite with CA Release Automation.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand your firewall environment and decide up-front if you are using CDD or RA for orchestration.