CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS Review

What is most valuable?

The feature we find most useful is the consistent ability to create ‘strategies’ across the products that allow for consistent foundations for the business processes and the ability to repetitively use them by different resources. These strategies allow for the establishment of methods that fit directly into our business needs and preps the DBAs as we need to best handle situations.

How has it helped my organization?

The best example is the day to day performance monitoring with the Detector product. Using Detector, we can see what is consuming the DB2 resources and then analyze its specifics through the integration with the other products. This improved our business processing because we were able to address the most impactful ones to mitigate their impact on the others.

What needs improvement?

The initial set up of parameters is quite exhaustive and some parameters cross products. Getting the parameters set to meet our need and then set in sync across products took significant time and effort.

We were the twelve license with Platinum who created the product so we have had a variation of it in house since the late 1980’s

Since we have had this suite for so long, and the areas where instabilities might crop up have been long flagged and prepared for.

That is not really relevant here because we have had a stable z/Server environment for some time.

It depends on the product, but across the array of products in the Suite, support has been consistently very good.

We evaluated several product suites, but this was the one we first purchased and we have stuck with it.

The install is fairly complicated because of the array of products though they have it documented as being very straightforward. The complexity comes from the customizations required for each of the products to work as we require them to across all facets of DB2,

Work for an overall solution. Competing product suites seem to serve the same functions but it is the overall integration of all the products to meet our needs that allows for this Suite to be so beneficial to our business.

In the late 1980’s, there was only Platinum and BMC that provided additional functions and front end to the DB2 utility work. We looked at both and took the Platinum solution through budget negotiations. The DBAs measured that the products were quite comparative and either would have met the then business needs.

What other advice do I have?

Utilize the CA resources the conferences! They provide good access to their technical support at many events that allow very good one on one discourse.

18.0
More CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, DBmaestro, Quest Software and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.