CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS Review

CA utilities are faster and use fewer resources. RC/Migrator allows us to make changes quickly.

What is most valuable?

The ability to do the CA utilities faster than IBM using less resources. I also like the RC/Migrator product that allows us to make changes quickly and efficiently using either the IBM utilities or the CA utilities.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits is repeatability of use. I can do a change in one environment and use that same change to do it to another environment. It allows reliable changes.

What needs improvement?

I'd like the product to support the open systems. However, I don't think that's coming.

The products work really well, but there are a couple of minor things that you have to learn to get around.

The product has been fairly stable for the last couple of years. It has a high learning curve for some of the traditional DBAs who don't want to venture from IBM.

The product works for some of the smallest changes or for some of the largest environmental changes.

I have used tech support. I'd give them, most of them, about an eight. I know most of them personally.

We were using BMC utilities, and we ran into some marketing and licensing issues. When we thought of changing vendors, we were interested in reliability and partnership. The vendors were IBM and Computer Associates, and Computer Associates had a more complete solution for what we needed to get done.

I was involved in the setup and it was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would give them some sample jobs to actually to run in scenarios to see how well CA does them compared to some of the other vendors.

More CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, DBmaestro, Quest Software and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.