CA DATACOM Review

It is a stable product that cuts down on our support costs

Video Review:

How has it helped my organization?

It definitely cuts down on our support costs. I do not get woken up in the middle of the night very often for a problem with Datacom. So, it is a pretty solid solution.

What is most valuable?

We use Datacom as the database for our CA 7 and CA 11. It is a very stable product. I really don't have to do much with it. I don't have to worry about the product going down. It just works most of the time. That is what I like about it.

What needs improvement?

This is a hard one. It has just been a really solid product. We have not had very many issues at all with it. The only minor issue that we have had with Datacom is in the installation guide: Some of the sizings for the databases have not really worked out for us, so we had to go in and resize them. Also, we would run out of space and things like that. Those are the only minor things.

It is definitely scalable. It has done everything that we have needed it to do. I do not see any problem going forward with it.

They are very responsive. They are always ready to meet. Any questions that we have or any needs that we have. We get very personal support; one-on-one support when we need it. Just top-notch service.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward for a mainframe product. It is a pretty standard installation. I am actually getting ready to upgrade the product in the next few months, and I do not foresee any problems with it.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it a nine out of 10. Just because, you never get a perfect 10. There is always room for improvement. There are minor things here and there, but I would say it is a solid product.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Reputation, definitely.
  • Support is really important to us being on the mainframe side. The support has to be really responsive when we need it: 24 hours a day, seven days a week, holidays, weekends, whenever. That is a really big deal.
  • Stability is very important, obviously.