CA Endevor Software Change Manager Review

It standardizes the processing of all development. Everything gets produced in a constant and consistent manner.

What is our primary use case?

I use it on a daily basis as an administrator. It performs fairly well and has for 20-plus years.

How has it helped my organization?

It is the standardized tool for all of mainframe development. In the past, it is a big improvement over just using standard homegrown utilities. Having something that is out-of-the-box that you can customize to suit your organization's needs is huge.

What is most valuable?

It standardizes the processing of all the development. Everything gets produced in a constant and consistent manner.

The flexibility, because I know a lot of the competition pigeonholes you into definitions and character limitations, and Endevor is wide open. You can define it as broadly or as narrowly as you want.

What needs improvement?

I do not know that there is much more that they can do on the mainframe side. They need to ditch the Eclipse plugin and just make the development environment for Z the standard Eclipse interface.

It is still kind of behind the times. It needs to catch up with all the millennials that want a distributed look and feel.

No downtime, and it has been around for 30 years. I think it has got another 30 to go. So, it is doing really well.

It is very scalable. You can use it in a small shop. I have hundreds of thousands of users, and you can tailor it to suit anyone's needs.

When I was with technical support, it was outstanding. Now, they are okay. They are doing their best without me.

The CA Community: We are one big, happy family. The development team support, all the customers around the world, and myself: We are one big Endevor family. We have known each other for decades. It is an awesome environment. A really good, tight community.

I was not involved with the initial setup. It was installed when I started working for this company.

I do not do the upgrades. Somebody else does that. The whole separation of duties thing. The system programmer has to do one thing, and I do the rest.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: From my company's point of view, cost because it is only installed on the Windows part for Sysplex, and they are too cheap to pay for the multi-LPAR license.

More CA Endevor Software Change Manager reviews from users