CA Endevor Software Change Manager Review

Consistent, repeatable processes, automation we built, take away most human error

What is our primary use case?

Application software management for multi-client applications.

As an outsourcer, in some cases software is maintained in-house, then distributed to clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Consistent, repeatable processes, and the automation that we have built take away much of the human error aspect.

Also, we have been able to replicate entire SDLCs for new clients and have them loaded and ready to use Endevor in as little as one week. This was possible with the use of Endevor variables within the processors, so that a single processor was able to function for multiple systems across the entire SDLC.

What is most valuable?

The history logging (who, what, when). It's so easy to pass an audit when the facts are clear.

What needs improvement?

More audit capability when it comes to changes to settings that are made by administrators, as many of these are done through the panels and are therefore not logged as an action against a configuration item.

Also, more flexibility for package approvals. Some new features are coming, but there will always be someone that needs something just a little different. Having the ability to choose approval order/approval disqualification in any combination, and defined at a stage level so that rules can be different, according to the location of the SDLC.

More than five years.

No issues with stability. Small bugs from time to time, but never really anything that kept the product from performing its main objective of software management.

No issues with scalability.

Great.

Straightforward in terms of the SDLC, but complex in the way the processors were initially built. A simple single stream of development made it easy to follow the development lifecycle.

The approach of writing a single set of Endevor processors to work across multiple instances of the application (separate systems) made the processors fairly complex, but once you understand them, they are so powerful.

At my original site (in 1989) there were other products evaluated, but I cannot recall the names as they did not stand the test of time.

What other advice do I have?

My original entry to Endevor was the realization of the need for proper application software management. At that time there was the need for software management due to the up and coming Y2K issues. Beyond that, anyone who knew anything about application code knew that software management was high on the requirements list.

It’s a great product, but take the time to define what you need from it before you start doing anything. I recall there was a five-day planning and design that CA would assist with. That is a valuable time for gaining CA staff insights on best practices, and helping you "get it right."