CA Gen Review

Allows us to easily manage all changes and requests, coding is easy

What is our primary use case?

We are using CA Gen on the client side and the mainframe side.

On the client side we are producing C source code and on the mainframe side we are producing COBOL source. We have been using CA Gen over 25 years in Turkey. As far as I know, we are the only user in Turkey. We are implementing CBD methodology (Component Based Development).

The performance is very nice. Especially if you are implementing the right architecture for it, you can easily manage all the changes, all the requests. We are now trying to change our architecture, especially the mainframe sites, because our business side is changing rapidly and we need to change our methods from static to dynamic. We are now working on that.

What is most valuable?

As a developer, it is wonderful. Coding on CA Gen is easy. If you want to change anything, you can easily manage the code and you can easily find other changes, other group changes, other models, other components.

What needs improvement?

The weak side is, I cannot use the DB2 specifications, DB2 comments, easily. They should support the latest DB2 versions, the latest DB2 comments. This is my priority. Database access.

More than five years.

Stability is always good enough for us.

Scalability is very good. It is not as scalable as native coding, but its scalability is enough for our requirements.

I have not used tech support directly, but we have some departments that are contacting CA. They are happy with the support they've had.

What other advice do I have?

I give this product an eight out of 10 because it's easy to use, it's familiar, it's stable. You can trust them, you can get support whenever you want.

Use CA Gen but be careful about the architecture, how you establish the architecture is so important. If you start at the wrong point, you will be punished.