CA Identity Manager (CA IAM) Review

We use IBM WebSphere, and Identity Manager works with it, as both sides achieve development and production.

Valuable Features:

We had a big problem with accounts synchronization provision as we used a very old identity manager solution, and we needed to change it. Then we acquired the new CA solution and we changed the solution.

It was a big challenge to change in only four months to CA Identity Manager, but we did it. Now we have accounts synchronization and self-service password reset.

Over the next two years, we will implement a new solution with CA for the accounts to put in Identity Governance. We need to implement 70 new systems inside Identity Manager.

Improvements to My Organization:

We use CA products because we have specific programs. For example, we use IBM WebSphere, and Identity Manager works with it. We implement and both sides achieve development and production, and we consider higher capability.

Room for Improvement:

My team doesn’t have much experience, so we need to hire a professional to work with us on site every day. This is difficult. I have 2700 servers and we have another project when 90% is obligated to use them but only 10% is a physical server.

Stability Issues:

At the moment, stability is so-so. We implemented this solution last month and the CA professional worked with us every day and made some configuration. I think our level of stability is normal for this stage.

Other Solutions Considered:

We made a request for a proposal to which IBM, Oracle, ISA, and CA responded. CA and Oracle were proven because the other ones didn’t agree with the time, four months, which is a big challenge. When my architecture team and security team checked the solutions, CA has a better score than Oracle, and they had a better price.

Other Advice:

You have to plan what you need. I had a bad experience in the past with an Oracle solution as my last company didn’t know what they needed. It's important to know what you need and where you can go. You need to have your systems and your integration prepared. We have had some surprises.

1 Comment
Senior IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employeesConsultant

Need a strategic plan for implementing service tools, looking around the corners that will provide maximum benefit to your environment. Sometime you may need multiple services to operate your requirement. I, personally would recommend to opt for the best one that would provide the most. This way, it's easier to maintain and manage.

21 December 15