CA Identity Manager (CA IAM) Review

We can tune, add, and build where we need to with this product

Video Review:

How has it helped my organization?

The multitude of end-points that we can connect to, whether it is an out-of-the-box connector or through a JNDI or a JDBC connection. We can connect to just about every application that we so far have tried to connect to with relative ease.

What is most valuable?

As a company, the most valuable feature that we have is our almost real-time feed from our HR systems into CA Identity Manager, which then feeds down to all of our directories or applications that an employee could potentially need to access.

What needs improvement?

One of the biggest features that we are looking at is more cloud-based options. Right now, there is a connector to Office 365. While it is okay for smaller companies like us, as a 300K plus operation, it is not really quite where it needs to be yet, as well as also going for other cloud-based solutions, such as AWS. The product is not quite there yet.

We have had some stability issues that weren't necessarily product-related. They were more of our own implementation, and working with CA support has helped us to stabilize our environments using their recommended settings and techniques. They have worked pretty close with us to get our environments more stable, so that now, we are at a point where we are not restarting the system once or twice a week or something along those lines. Now that things are becoming more stable, the less people know who we are, the better it is.

Right now, our Identity Management system is its our own standalone environment that we have built up. As we are looking to move more towards their vApps and things along those lines, scalability seems to be much better than what we currently have, because we can just spin up a new system. We don't have to worry about a lot of configurations. We can move forward. Right now, scalability leads to us having to spend on new servers, doing all the configurations, making sure that everything is connected and keeps going. We are looking at more improved scalabilities going forward.

We made the switch from Novell almost four years ago. That was based out of need because it was getting too expensive and the product's supportability wasn't quite there.

Overall, we were ready to move on to a different vendor. The reason we went with CA is because as opposed to things such as SailPoint, we have a lot more configurability involved. It is not all one giant piece where it is a black box. This one, with CA, we can tune where we need to. We can add where we need to. We can build up what we need to. It has worked out pretty well for us.

What other advice do I have?

It is good, but I think there is still some room for improvement. That comes along the lines of:

1. More cloud integration, which hopefully will be coming soon.
  2. Since we're on an older version, it is hard to really evaluate what's the new one. So, this is on the version that we have because we don't have features such as Identity Portal in yet, which actually would raise up my rating with that.

There are still performance issues that we deal with. There are still some web server configuration issues that we have. Hopefully, moving forward, those will be addressed.