CA Identity Suite [EOL] Review

It integrates with company systems. The supporting back-ends hold up to millions of users.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the integration between the various modules of Identity Suite with the enterprise assets, as well as integration between the components of the suite.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy and quick integration of CA Identity Suite with company systems improves security and provides a quicker ROI by decreasing the time we need to spend on these tasks.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more analytics in the solution. Better integration with the strong authentication components from CA that were also acquired during the RFB, but are not yet operating to their full capacity.

The Identity Manager and Identity Governance have been stable for quite a long time and are proven solutions that CA has had in their portfolio for a while. The portal looks promising and each new release brings new functionality. Since the portal plugs into the Identity Manager and Governance infrastructure, it should be easy to implement.

Scalability has been proven with the distribution of components that can be implemented in multi-tenancy, as well as over HA-enrolled balanced architectures. Additionally, the supporting back-ends such as the CA directory are known to hold up to millions of users.

Technical support for CA is great. It is very consistent service. You just need to know how to talk to them and find the right person so they become your internal partner as well.

The client had a legacy mainframe environment that did not evolve at all. On site, we had a few security frameworks for it. One was commercial, CA Top Secret, and three homemade. The other one was a competitor web access managementsolution that didn't fit the new web services approach of the digital transformation.
This client was a clean field for the IM program.

I did the overall architecture of the solution with the assistance of three architects in the Identity Access and Governance base.

It's been very straightforward. Actually from the RFP on, we completed the lifecycle for the acquisition of the solution in four months, which is quite an achievement. These projects normally take about a year in a financial, banking or insurance environment. We're now moving into production to protect critical client applications after only six months of implementation.

First, functionally speaking, we needed strong authentication. In the insurance business, especially for health care or workplace accidents, there is a high degree of confidentiality and privacy to implement. So multi-factor authentication is a key function. Second, this client is migrating from a very legacy mainframe environment, to REST-based web services. The API management with the API gateway was also a no-brainer since it integrates very well with the Identity Suite and CA Single Sign-On.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, we look for good integration and scalability. I would advise potential customers to evaluate the necessary preparation of the current environment. I think they will probably find 99% of the use case they need to implement covered by CA Identity Suite.