CA IDMS Review

We've been running it for many years. It's reliable and stable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance of the database. It's very good because it's a network database management system. It's very efficient at what it does and it's quite reliable as well. It provides us with a very stable platform. We've been running it for many years.

How has it helped my organization?

Thirty years ago we developed our main customer service system, a database management system, using IDMS and we're still running it to this day. We've migrated some tasks off it, but we're still running a lot of the business on it. We're running it because it's legacy. We wouldn't choose it if we were picking it today because the skills are quite difficult to acquire. But it's still reliable at what it does.

What needs improvement?

We need to make it much easier to support and maintain, because the skills required are quite specialized and we're not going to have people in the future who've got the necessary experience and knowledge. So that's something that really needs to be addressed; it needs to be simplified.

For example, at the moment, to reorganize the database to increase the size is a very time consuming process. You need to know exactly what you're doing. We would like to be able to automate tasks like this so that anybody can pick it up and do it without having years of experience.

Yeah. Over the years, it's got better and better and now it's a pretty reliable platform.

It has limitations in scalability, but it meets our needs. If you wanted to scale the database larger, there are limitations to the size of the database. Our current database is about 13 TBs, and going much bigger than that could cause issues.

Technical support is very good, very good. We have a very good relationship with the CA development staff for IDMS. We worked with them quite close during the beta test program, developing the product.

I was not part of the initial setup team thirty years ago. I've been working for the company for forty years, but I wasn't involved.

Because our application is so big and we bought into the company, it's just been very difficult to move over the years so really we're locked in. Technically, the performance is good and the reliability is good so we're not being pressured to move off it.

What other advice do I have?

It's not something we would chose to put new work on these days because there are much more modern solutions out there that are far easier to manage.

I don't think anybody would be actively developing anything new on IDMS these days, but if they've got it then it's worth sticking with it.