CA IT Asset Manager Review

When we get audited, we know where things are. For an organization of our size, that's valuable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to know where everything in our organization is: "Hey, we're looking for this computer with this serial number." Okay, well, we can pull it up: “It's at this location. This person just logged on with it." It allows us to know where our things are. That's one of the biggest issues in an organization of our size - who's using what, where is it at, and what building, because we have three hospitals, three office parks, and hundreds of small practices; so, to know where things are. Things get moved around; nurses go from point A to point B. We need to know where these devices are. It helps a great deal with that.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps whenever we get audited; we know where things are. We deal with HIPAA a lot, so we need to know if we can't find a device, or it hasn't been turned on in a while; location of things; know the life cycle of things; when things need to be reset. Those are our biggest three things that from our standpoint are really, really good, which we need to know about.

What needs improvement?

I wish I had a great answer. I've made it work perfect for me. It integrates well with all the other CA products, so that's a really good one. So, we don't need that one.

When you're building it, maybe some type of software overlay that gives you best cases for what you're trying to do. Maybe something like, "Hey, this is what we're using it for.” Maybe there's someone who's done this before: “Hey, maybe you should think about this." That would help.

Because, when I use it, I build it to our specifications, but I want to say, "OK, what are the other users using? What are they doing? How are they making it work for them?" That would be something that would be really good.

I have not encountered any stability issues from my side. There are three different programs that actually use the same databases. If they go down or there's an issue there, we go down because we use the same database as well. For the most part, from ITAM, no.

Scaling it has been pretty straightforward, from a small number of things to the 25,000 devices that we have in there now. It hasn’t been an issue at all; no scalability issues at all.

Initially, we would have issues with technical support, but recently, the six months, I found a person who is amazing as far as resolution. If I have an issue, he always takes the ticket. He'll email or call me within 20 or 30 minutes. Generally, by the next day, we have a resolution. If we don't, we're still working on it. He's been amazing.

I do the upgrades. Initially, each upgrade, the process for it was a little different. Lately, they've been a little more streamlined. You do the same process for each upgrade, which is a great help. Having to go, this upgrade was going to be different from this one, going to be different from that one, that was a bit of a headache. It was hard to make sure you had all the things. Now, it's streamlined to the point where it's all the same process. You just grab this file, do this one thing or do these three things, and it works.

Pricing is fairly reasonable. It's not outside what I call the bell curve. It's not too expensive; it's not the least expensive. I think you get what you pay for. It's well within the realm of, "Okay, this is a product that's worth the cost."

I wasn't involved in the decision to go with it. After we bought the product as an organization, they brought me in and I was handed it.

What other advice do I have?

Learn all the things that it can do before you start doing anything. I ran into something where I was trying to get the product how to do a certain thing, and I hadn't fully read all of the documentation with it. There was an easier way to do it. It's the software management part of it; we had been playing with it. What I was doing is making the software an asset inside of the system, where they have SAM, which actually takes care of all of that for you, so you don't have to do it. I wish I had known that before I started playing with it. But that's it.

1 visitor found this review helpful