CA IT Asset Manager Review

Enables me to know where an asset is at any point during its lifecycle

What is our primary use case?

ITSM management, tracking and reporting on ITSS. Understanding the ownership of IT assets.

So far the performance has been great.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to make better business and financial decisions.

What is most valuable?

The capability of knowing where an asset is at any point during its lifecycle: How old it is, who it belongs to, and where it's at within that lifecycle.

What needs improvement?

• I would like to see more control over audit trail features, where you can turn on and off fields.
  • More reporting capabilities.
  • And I'd like to see end-of-life information on software products.
  • Make it cheaper.

More than five years.

Stability is good. No issues.

A lot of scalability. No problem with that.

I've used tech support. It's okay. As long as I can get local technical support, I'm good, but if I go to sustaining engineers, sometimes it takes a little longer than I would like.

It's hard to answer this because it has been so long, but it was basically the need to track and report assets in a more formal way, to get away from Access databases, spreadsheets, and things like that.

Over the past 17 years that I've been using it, it has just been upgrades. The only complaints have been around major releases and we had CA assistance with those, and it helped.

What other advice do I have?

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are

• support
  • service
  • stability.

In terms of advice to colleagues who are looking at similar solutions, I would remind them that a tool is only about 20% of the asset management solution. There is no magic bullet, and it still takes a lot of processes and policies and standards to manage asset management.