CA Mainframe Software Manager [EOL] Review

It needs a more enterprise view of multiple instances and better management of those instances, although it presents the information from the compliance manager in a more contemporary way.

Valuable Features

I think that the real value of this solution is that it's eye candy; it’s pretty. It pretties up the security/event investigation dashboard. This is helpful because it allows people to look at it and think they’re getting something. It presents the information from the compliance manager in a more contemporary way.

Improvements to My Organization

It doesn’t provide benefits to the organization yet, in my opinion. It’s just eye candy. And we’re still in the process of installing it after three years.

Room for Improvement

It needs a more enterprise view of multiple instances and better management of those instances. We have systems all over the US and when I push a policy, I need to make sure they’re all running the policy. Therefore, I need an enterprise view of all enterprise instances of Chorus.

I have some systems where I can’t run full Chorus because their required configurations don’t meet some of the requirements of full Chorus. Some systems can’t run System Logger because those systems are meant for only replication and emergency switching. They have minimal products and features to provide reliability to manage migration should disasters occur.

Stability is still a challange. It’s better, but there’s work.

We don't know yet whether it will scale cause we're still installing it and performing debugging.

We have working sessions with technical support a couple of days a week. They’re attentive, but are themselves challenged in the complexity of the solution.

Initial setup was very complex.

Other Advice

It has potential. It’ll take another five years to mature for it to be useful. It was brought to market too early. It’s not right for a big enterprise like my employer.

Wait for the product to mature, but it depends on your environment. It may be fine for someone pressured by a regulator and is a small shop. But we as a large enterprise try to exploit it and break it.