CA NetMaster Network Management for TCP/IP Review

We use the SmartTrace feature for troubleshooting.

What is most valuable?

I have NetMaster Network Management for SNA, NetMaster Network Automation and NetMaster Network Management for TCP/IP. The TCP/IP product is the best for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the SmartTrace feature a lot. It's very good for troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

The automation part could use improvement, but I do not do that much with it.

Maybe you could have some pre-canned NCL or REXX processes that anybody could use or easily modify that anyone could use. Everything is so menu-driven that you get lost looking for something.

Otherwise, I think it is one of the better network products out there.

I have been using this product for more than 20 years.

This product is very stable and has been for years.

I have never had problems with scalability.

Their technical staff is very knowledgeable and has been with them for years; very efficient.

It was in place before I came into our Network group and has been here ever since. I have been in the Network group for about 20 years.

I saw it installed using SMP/E when Sterling Software owned the product. Afterwards, they were bought out by CA. The installation instructions are not always intuitive, but once you have it configured and working, it is a very useful product.

We evaluated IBM NetView and TMON for TCP/IP; did not like either one of them.

What other advice do I have?

Do not be afraid to contact their technical support if you get stuck. They are very good at what they do.