CA NetQoS Performance Center Review

It pulls data together in an easy-to-search-through fashion, giving us an easier way to start troubleshooting problems. But instead of digging through all the data, I'd like a more organized view.

Valuable Features

I think it's a good product to pull data together in an easy-to-search-through fashion, instead of having a lot of different individual solutions. It provides SNMP traffic statistics instead of alarms, which Spectrum provides instead.d

Improvements to My Organization

It gives us an easier way to start troubleshooting problems. It lets us dig more granularly, so if we saw something come in a couple hours ago the old way of looking at the stats was very, "This is what you're going to get," but now you can dig down and say, "I want to see the specific time frame," or even "I want to dig back days ago and see a two-hour block of what was going on and try to isolate what caused it."

Room for Improvement

We've started getting into moving modules around and kind of designing what we're seeing at a given instance. So, if we know that when we troubleshoot a certain type of outage, we like to see this data, we can present just that data on a dashboard, then that's powerful. That would save a lot of time instead of having to dig through all the data. So, I guess a more organized view of all the data that it provides would be an improvement we'd want.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no stability issues with the product itself. We may have put under-powered servers running the application or things like that, and those are some issues that we're working on internally to actually make it supported by CA. A lot of it really has to do with how much time you invest in setting it up and having the right hardware.

We've got more devices than what should have been on certain data pullers. Once we got that upgraded, and we did upgrade a couple months ago to the new versions, everything just kind of came together where we could see that performance all of a sudden was like, "Okay, this is exactly what we were hoping it would have done."

We haven't needed to really make a lot of calls to technical support on this side.

Other SNMP pullers that just give you very static info, you might see a whole day's worth of traffic in one graph. You can't dig down further into that. You might have a harder time seeing statistics for memory uses or anything because you've got static, defined time frames. You can see it, but you can't see it, if you will.

Other Advice

It's probably fair to say that I think we probably don't use all of the features that are there already, so as we get more and more into what it can do, it's met everything that we've wanted at this point.