CA OPS MVS Event Management and Automation Review

We control our DR tests with it so our operations staff does not have to manage it using the NetView interface.

What is most valuable?

• Rules
  • OPS/REXX
  • SQL
  • SSM
  • Global variables
  • OPSLOG

How has it helped my organization?

We control our DR tests with OPS/MVS as a wrapper to IBM’s GDPS so our operations staff does not have to manage using their interface in NetView. We also have other “applications” like managing logical engines on LPARs.

What needs improvement?

Our last main complaint was having sysplex-wide variables (outside of OPSHFI), but this is now a reality.

If you look in the v12.2 command and function reference manual, there are sysplex variables. As in, their scope is sysplex-wide. If you update one on system A, it is accessible from system B.

Prior to sysplex vars, the only option was to use OPSHFI (also documented in that manual), which uses a dataset that is accessible from all systems. There are, however, still some restrictions with sysplex vars as far as which kinds of rules you can use them in, which is also the case for OPSHFI vars.

I have used it since 1997.

We have not really encountered any stability issues. We’ve had a few cases over the years where the product would shut down due to command or message rate exceeded but those have been mitigated.

We have gotten close in one or two cases with the size of global variables but no show-stoppers.

Technical support is excellent.

In a previous life, I supported NetView and also the old Auto-operator. OPS/MVS is much more intuitive to use, especially compared to Netview/SA/GDPS.

We have another team perform the install and we do some customization or test new features. From what I understand, there are no complaints about set-up.

- NetView

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to simply install it in a test environment first, then play with all the features. I know there are also many samples and tools provided, such as how to set up a table to start up your system tasks.

**Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We know several of the developers and usually participate in new features before they are GA. We also feel they are very open to our ideas.
More CA OPS MVS Event Management and Automation reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, BMC and others in Event Monitoring. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.