CA OPS/MVS Event Management and Automation Review

Considering its longevity, it's functioning well with ROI continuing to grow

What is our primary use case?

It's distribution. The logistics of distribution. Warehousing, distribution, inventory control, shipping, bills of material.

Considering it's 35 years old, it's still functioning well, primarily because of the resources that are available, and tools that have been introduced that can connect to legacy applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is that the ROI, since it's 35 years old, the ROI is coming back over and over and over.

I don't think it improves the way our company functions. Because of its age, it's a little bit difficult to modernize some of the integrations and some of the functions. The people who support it limits us, but at the same time it's providing us benefit.

What is most valuable?

It's very secure, because it's a legacy application. It allows a natural, organic encapsulation of data.

What needs improvement?

Definitely having more web-based interface. Definitely be more mobile-open. More APIs, more open source to it.

The product is very stable.

Scalability is zero. It cannot be scaled because of its age. And it can't be scaled because the newer warehouses, or the new distribution units, require far more automation, far more artificial intelligence, far more robotics. This application, unfortunately, cannot be scaled, unless you add more middleware pieces. So it's great where it's at, but modern environments are having a difficult time scaling it.

They're good. Very good. They're efficient. They know our environment. It's a good relationship.

I was not involved in the initial setup but I have been involved in an upgrade. It was complex. It wasn't a major upgrade. It was just an application version maintenance-level upgrade.

It was complex because of the integrations. It was complex because of the availability of the system. It's at 32 distribution centers, so you have to work with one distribution, or a few, at a time. Like I talked about scaling. You had to do 32 distinct upgrades, and they all had their own little engagement, and they had their own little nuances, depending on the location.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are depth of support, intelligence on the industries that we are in, and similarities of different organizations so we can leverage their data points to make sure that we have a streamlined approach on support going forward.

I would look at the vendor's internal teams to see if there people capable of supporting it, and what it will take to ensure that there is sustainability around it. And last but not least, what is the roadmap of the product compared to the roadmap of your company? Strategically, they should be in lock step.