CA Performance Management Review

Proactively builds dashboards, which allow us to go and do health checks

What is our primary use case?

We use the Performance Center to do performance monitoring. It is used throughout the organization by both our engineers, our support staff, and our troubleshooters.

How has it helped my organization?

When devices are having performance issues, it proactively build dashboards, which allow us to go and do health checks, and resolve problems before they become an issue.

What is most valuable?

The ability to quickly do drag and drop customized reports for dashboards.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see open integration with tools like Splunk, ExtraHop, and NetMRI.

There are some areas in the technology right now, like with VMs, where we are lacking with our abilities to get inside the VM to monitor traffic within the machine.

It has gotten a lot better over the last five years. When it switched from MPC to Performance Center, there were some issues, but it has greatly improved.

I have mixed feeling about the scalability. I feel like there are things which are being put into UIM right now that are not being included in Performance Center that we need to see in Performance Center. We are kind of being driven to buy UIM, and I can't justify it.

There are just some charts and views that we can't build in Performance Center right now.

We have had a couple of instances with one support person that we've had some issues with, but overall I would say it is very good.

We brought a CA person on site to help us with the initial setup. They were helpful. They got us up and running.

What other advice do I have?

Have an open mind. Look at what it can do for your folks. How fast and how easy it is for them to learn to navigate through the dashboards, and what you can do with the dashboards.