CA Performance Management Review

Enables our network teams to be proactive in responding to performance issues

What is our primary use case?

• Network performance reporting
  • Incident monitoring

How has it helped my organization?

The network teams have transitioned to becoming proactive in responding to network performance issues, rather than being just reactive to outages.

What is most valuable?

CA PM is the single pane of glass, providing consolidated views for all of the CA tool sets, for viewing all reports.

What needs improvement?

CA PM Business Hours Filtering: I understand that all monitoring systems have defects. The Business Hours Filtering does not always function properly. Sometimes, when applying business hours to CA PM reports that are 30 or more days in duration, the report generation times out and does not display results.

We have other CA PM reports that, when we apply Business Hours Filtering, the report results displayed are the same as without the filter. We are not sure if this is a defect in CA PM or if it is a result of our complex configuration (folder structure) and application of business hours.

We would also like to be capable of reporting network performance with a report strictly focused on the times outside business hours, which CA PM does not currently support. We have discontinued the use of the Business Hours Filtering until CA engineers are able to resolve or offer guidance.

Initially, we had under-sized the ADA and NFA.

No issues with scalability.

Good.

NetQoS was acquired by CA.

Complex. CA PM can be complex to build and configure. Creating the folders / groups / sites required establishing many rule sets.

I have no experiencing with pricing.

Netcool, Solarwinds.

What other advice do I have?

Instrumentation could take some time, depending how much reporting customization you plan to employ.