CA Clarity PPM Review

Our project, resource, and portfolio management processes are combined in one solution

What is our primary use case?

We are using it mainly for project management, but also for topics like resource management and portfolio management.

How has it helped my organization?

The project management from CA PPM has been improving a lot. Also, we have been reviewing, once a year, the functionality to see how we can make adjustments to the IT configurations and improve our system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the project, resource, and portfolio management processes are combined in one solution. The data is possible to use either in the one or the other process, and we do not need to enter the data multiple times. Then, we use the information for multiple purposes.

What needs improvement?

It would be good for them to work on the user interface to make it more interactive. They started with on something, but the functionality is not yet in a state where I would say, "Oh wow, use that one."

More than five years.

The stability is okay. We do not have any issues with it.

There have been no issues on our side.

We use technical support every so often. The competency and available support are quite good, therefore we do not have any issues with support. Every time that we have a case where we need support, it is clarified right away.

I was not involved in the initial setup or implementation.

We evaluate if the solution is the right one for us once a year, therefore we are compare different alternatives.

On our short list, there was CA which is the product that we have now. Additionally, we evaluated Microsoft Project. From a functionality perspective, both were very similar, but we already used CA products for several years. We decided to stay with CA because the integration effort would otherwise be high.

What other advice do I have?

Think about processes before implementing the solution. Then, connect the processes with the solution and make sure the solution is supporting the processes, and not that the processes need to be adjusted to fit to the solution.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor is to have a good balance between cost and functionality.