CA Privileged Access Manager Review

Individual administrators have access to end points without needing to know passwords. We have had many complications during the implementation.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is that we do not need to know the passwords any more; just having access to the end point; and that it’s easy to manage users and the account.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we implemented CA PAM in our company, we don't need to pass the passwords to every individual administrator. He just logs in using his own credentials and then searches for the end point he wants to access and that's it. We approve their access and they're ready to administer the end point. This is good because we don't need to change passwords every time one of our colleagues leaves the company.

What needs improvement?

There are many improvements needed. We are always searching for new features and new ways to improve the solution, because I'm just the local administrator. I have a support company which implements the solution. We are always constantly trying to improve new features to upgrade the solution, to understand more ways to facilitate our databases.

We are going on the third year. We have had many complications during the implementation.

The current release that we are using is much faster than the old ones we were trying. We had several problems with performance and crashes, screens that wouldn’t load up. The final release we are using is much better and more stable.

Now, it is scalable.

I would give technical support a 2.5/5. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my local support or CA support, but when we opened a case, it took several days to get a response. It cost me time to get a reply. They'd come back to us to understand what is going on or what was necessary to give support. Between me opening the case and my local support trying to understand what we want; then, they don't know how to solve it and go to CA support and try to understand again; that takes a long time.

This is the only one. We got this implementation by bid, so we couldn't choose any company. It was the lowest price and a quicker time to implement.

The first setup was complex. The implementation, to me, was very bad.

We did a proof of concept with another solution.

What other advice do I have?

When they came for the proof of concept, we only had access to the system itself. I couldn't try to understand the complexity of implementation or support or all the features that the solution would have to offer. I just saw the main features.