Symantec Privileged Access Manager Review

Passwords don't float around unchanged anymore. We can scale by just dropping in another appliance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the general concept of securing privileged passwords. Having worked in IT for a long time, I know how privileged passwords can float around. They pass from person to person and don’t get changed when they should be changed, such as when someone key who knows them leaves the organization. So, I appreciate the value of locking all that down.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to have a centralized place to store the most critical username/password combinations that you have. These are the ones that access your key systems. PAM prevents some of the breaches that we've seen recently where one of those privileged accounts can lead to access to confidential information or financials can really paralyze an entire organization. Breaches can potentially smear organizations in the media when their names get out there in that light. So the whole concept of locking that down is very important.

What needs improvement?

The product itself is solid. I haven't really seen any deficiencies. It’s more just getting the message out about why it's so important. That's what our organization is trying to do. We're also a reseller. We are trying to convince companies that they need this type of technology. Publishing more use cases would be helpful just to help to convince companies why they need a product like this.

We don't actually use this solution ourselves. We implement the solution for people who buy it. I’ve been doing it for about a year. I haven't used it personally, but I know how it works.

It's very self-contained as a product. Being appliance-based, it's easy to implement. It's stable. No complaints there.

It is very scalable. I know it's used in large organizations like banks and healthcare organizations. It's just a matter of swapping in. I recall on one of the enablement calls that I attended, they had a very defined set of parameters where if you reached a certain threshold, you would then swap in another PAM appliance.

I've actually never called in to their technical support, so I really can't say.

I don't really know much on the pricing side. I'm more on the technical side. We do have an instructor that teaches the PAM enablement classes, and he's a big fan of the course materials. He thinks that they're very valuable and well worth the cost of attending a class. So attend the public CA courses on PAM, because they're very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would say definitely get professionals that can help out. My company is in this space, and this is what we do for a living, so I don't think that it's a product that you want to go and try to implement on your own. Getting professional experience on your side for two or three weeks, or whatever it takes, to deploy the solution is well worth the investment.

**Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller.
More Symantec Privileged Access Manager reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, CyberArk, BeyondTrust and others in Privileged Access Management (PAM). Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.