CA Privileged Access Manager Review

I like the fact that passwords are checked-in automatically. They shouldn’t compromise better looking UI with performance.

What is most valuable?

I mostly do support for the product so I’m aware of all the features this product offers. I like the fact that passwords are checked-in automatically. In case you forget to release the account so that other people can use it, it keeps the account secured by changing the password automatically.

You can do A2A integration. You can have your own script, which can then run outside of PA to retrieve the password and perform other tasks.

It has CLI commands for bulk changes. I’ve used that feature to on-board thousands of accounts, and it saved time and effort rather than doing it manually.

How has it helped my organization?

PA is a global vault application which is essential in our day-to-day tasks is retrieving and using privileged accounts. Also provides a nice logging and notification to management as well as audit.

What needs improvement?

I think most people that use the product are concern with performance and they are also used to the user inference. We shouldn’t compromise a better looking UI with performance. It’s hard to say, because ever since I’ve started using the product, we have had performance issues.

What I hope happens with the new product CA PAM is to keep all the useful features that exist in PA, but what I’ve noticed with many new products is the UI gets polished but systems lags stability and performance or it adds additional complexity instead of simplifying the user experience.

I hope that’s not the case with the new product. And of course with any new product, there should be improvements in stability, usability, performance and support.

We have used this solution for over two years.

Stability is a problem that we fight every day.

We have scalability issues. For our current stress test, it looks like the system is not able to handle a large number of users at peak times.

I think there are two points to this. It’s very hard to get to level 2 or 3 support to answer questions. We had cases that were dragged on for years with no answer waiting for engineering. It almost sounds like we are on our own and this product is not “really supported” or CA is so busy with other more important issues that higher level support is almost never available.

I am not sure. When I joined the bank, this was what they were using.

I was not part of the bank at that point.

What other advice do I have?

I think this product is no longer available. But if it is, I would recommend a full stress test before they even implement it. Make sure you can run it on the newest web or application servers.