CA Privileged Access Manager Review

The most valuable feature is the keystroke tracking feature

What is most valuable?

The most valuable element is the keystroke tracking feature.

We use the tool in our FedRAMP data centers. Whenever an employee does some work at the command line in the servers, app servers or database servers, we need to track what they do.

We use the tool to do just that. We bought it for that purpose. That is why this is the most important feature for us.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has not improved our organization. It is an intentionally limiting product. That’s why we have it.

What needs improvement?

It limits the number of CIs. Why not have unlimited CIs?

As I understand the licensing, we purchase the PAM product and pay for it based on the number of CIs. (A “CI” is a “configuration item”. It’s an ITIL term.)

That means the number of servers, routers, switches, etc. for which PAM controls access and tracks activity. Why not charge us a flat fee and give us unlimited CIs?

We have been using the solution for around four years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We had scalability issues, particularly in regards to the limit of CIs.

The technical support is very good. They are very helpful. They are knowledgeable and follow-up when we have issues.

We did not use a previous solution.

I don’t know about the initial setup. I was not involved in the initial setup.

I am not involved in pricing and licensing.

I don’t know about the evaluation of other products. I was not involved in that part of the process.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you can track enough CIs and have room for growth.