CA Privileged Access Manager Review

Gives us the ability to rotate passwords automatically via a scheduled job or password view

What is most valuable?

Gives us the ability to rotate passwords automatically in the vault, on in any interval, via a scheduled job or password view. This takes out the management of passwords from the user and CA PAM can control the password maintenance.

How has it helped my organization?

Without getting too specific, we are able to manage root account passwords on 1600+ Linux servers. Our users can transparently login with those credentials when needed.

What needs improvement?

The OOTB reporting functionality is lacking. The ability to view a simple breakdown of the various data. They offer an all or nothing solution that does work for my organization. We need to be able to distribute reports to various groups that have users working in CA PAM without showing them all the activity. However, there are APIs that can be utilized to make custom reports. The product is good and enhancements are coming to improve the product. Reporting is what is lacking in this version of the product.

We have used the product since September 2016.

At this point, there were no issues with stability.

At this point, there were no issues with scalability.

The technical support has be an essential part of our deployment. They are very responsive and work diligently to resolve the issues.

We didn’t have a previous solution.

We have ten appliances and the setup was straightforward. We had no issues setting up our infrastructure.

I was not involved in the negotiations of the product.

We started out with eight different products and wound up doing an RFP with four finalists, and CA PAM was one of them. The other three were BeyondTrust, CyberArk, and Hitachi ID.

What other advice do I have?

My only advice is to make sure you perform a through PoC in your environment to make sure all aspects of the system work for you.