CA Release Automation Review

Its benefits to us are of pulling our project together and making us more efficient. It also allows us to have a repeatable process that enables governance and control.

Valuable Features:

We are currently going through a period of trying to implement CICD, Continuous Integration and Delivery. We've quite a lot of tools in the CI space. Now we want to expand that out to try and allow for automated deployments, so that we can get a more integrated process and workflow, between actually building and creating code, and the actually deploying that into the systems. So that's really what our main focus is of implementing RA.

The most valuable features for us all revolve around the automated deployments, so it's more around the governance and consistency across all the different technologies that we have. We're just in the process of implementing Release Automation, so I think once we've implemented it, and started to get to grips with the initial functionality that's available, we can start to look a little bit deeper, and see what other functionalities are useful.

Improvements to My Organization:

We have a lot of CA products within the company and they've all fit our requirements, and I don't see any difference with Release Automation. Its benefits to us are of pulling our project together and making us more efficient. It also allows us to have a repeatable process that enables governance and control.

Room for Improvement:

As we're just in the initial implementation phase, I can't say there's any room for improvement, save for maybe the complexity of it because of all the functionalities. I can see why it was chosen from the POC. Once we've got the initial implementation over and done with, we can then start to look at more of what the tool has to offer.

Stability Issues:

We haven't actually got as far as configuring the Production Instance. We've only dabbled in the POC. So it's hard to tell at this time.

Previous Solutions:

In terms of actually implementing the tool technically, it's straightforward. The challenge that we've got within our company at the moment is that we're in the process of trying to roll out a cloud. It's trying to understand how Release Automation fits with that because I think it's getting very on-premise focused until now. And that's one of the challenges that we've got.

Other Solutions Considered:

We ran a POC earlier this year. It basically looked at IBM UrbanCode versus CA Release Automation. They're the two market leaders.