CA Release Automation Review

The install comes with built-in plugins for tools such as TIBCO, WebSphere, and IIS. I would like it to have agentless deployment.

What is most valuable?

The built-in action packs for different systems is the most valuable feature. The CA RA install comes with built-in plugins for tools such as TIBCO, WebSphere, IIS and so on. This helps to avoid writing custom scripts to deploy to those kinds of servers. We use those plugins instead.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped with auto-deployment of the pipeline from TeamCity & configuring rollbacks, and seeing versions and release pipeline status.

What needs improvement?

Have an agentless deployment: Right now, we had to install agents on all deployment servers, for it to work with the CA RA tool. Currently, when a deployment server needs to connect with the CA RA tool, it needs an agent installed on it. So, when we deploy to 100 machines, we need to install 100 CA agents on each one of them, i.e., even in the production servers.

I also think that the cost of this product is high. There are other cheaper deployment solutions available in the market.

I have used this solution for more than six months.

We did have some stability issues. Sometimes, my agents on the deployment servers failed to connect with the CA RA server. So, I had to restart the agents on deployment servers once a week in order to make them active again on the CA RA admin console.

Technical support is good. The support was quite responsive.

We were trying out many different solutions and CA RA was one of them.

For the setup, the complexity level was medium.

The price of this product is expensive.

We are still in the evaluation mode with different vendors. Also, some teams are using the CA RA tool extensively.

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC of the product and weigh the cons and benefits, before buying the actual licenses.