CA Release Automation Review

It will alleviate copy-paste errors and transposition errors that affect our customers.

Video Review:

What is most valuable?

We were running approximately 40 manual steps, and we're getting this down to two manual steps, thereby alleviating some of the copy-paste errors, some of the transposition errors that we're currently doing that affect our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

For my organization, in particular, it’s going to improve our throughput. We're not going to have delays in testing, because we had some sort of manual entry error, some transposition error. We should be able to release our software to the customer in a much more efficient fashion.

As far as the role this solution has played in our continuous delivery journey, right now, we're just a very small fish in a big company. We do touch into a lot of other departments. Working with this for my group, if it becomes successful, we can start integrating and helping other parts of the organization also automate.

We don't have a lot of compliance and governance within my group. However, we do a lot of audit and we have a lot of details that we have to track. This is going to help us keep on top of those details; keep that continuity of data; keep us really on track for being able to give a better solution to our customers.

What needs improvement?

Indicating room for improvement is difficult, because we're so immersed in what we're doing right now. There's a lot of things that we can see that can be included. Working with our consultant, he's helping us address some of those issues, especially with tracking and capturing metrics. Our metrics are for very short time periods; capturing those metrics and being able to present them in a way that my management can understand.

We started using it in about March 2016, with our planning and our proto building.

I believe it will be stable. We're still finishing up some introductory things. We haven't done our full release yet. We're in a soft test process right now. I'm starting to see some very positive results with all of that.

What we're looking at is a very small part. From some of the information at a recent CA conference, I can see where we can expand. We can expand into our test organization. We can expand into our further release organization. I think there's a lot of scalability.

I've not had any problems with the tech support at CA. We've got a consultant that's come in. He's been invaluable. We've done some training. We're working right now on mentoring some of my own people to start picking up some of those tasks, so I have not had any issues with CA support.

My organization has wanted to invest in a solution for my group for a couple of years now. It was a matter of just researching, getting the right players in, and bringing in the right development people to start on this. I started on this process about two years ago. We finally got the team set up so that we could move forward on it at the end of 2015. Then we started full blast ahead in January 2016.

Initial setup is a bit complex. We also had to build a front-end solution at the same time as implementing the CA and CDD. What we're doing with CDD is kind of unique. There's been some complexities. There's a lot of business rules surrounding the manual processes; getting all those captured; and then being able to program for them. Right now, we're looking at the 80%. Then we'll be going into an optimization come the beginning of 2017.

We checked out, from my point of view, several vendors, but we have a VP that wanted an enterprise solution. We already had a relationship with CA. He felt that this was something that CA could do for us. We met with them. We feel that they're doing a good job.

What other advice do I have?

I never give out perfect ratings. I think it's going to be a good, stable product. I know CDD's fairly new. We're doing new things with it. It's exciting that it can be scalable enough to accommodate our part of the production.